Nerd Guru

Because technical people need good soft skills to get ahead.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Improving body language

Lifehacker recently revived an article from October '06 off The Personality Blog that lists out ways you can improve your body language. In this space before, I've written about the importance of establishing context in your emails because your body language isn't there to help deliver the message, but this Personality Blog post is a good reminder of how you can utilize your body positioning and actions better.

A particularly bad quirk of mine that was recently pointed out to me is that from years of concentrating on computer monitors full of source code with a slight squint, I've developed a crease between my eyes . Isn't aging great? When my face is relaxed, it still shows up and makes me look mad even though I think I'm expressionless. I find myself raising both eyebrows constantly to compensate and smooth out that crease. I may look like I've had a face lift, but at least I don't look mad!

My favorite from the list in the article is #14: Lower your drink. I have a general problem with dehydration so I'm constantly drinking something and feel like a complete dork holding a glass like it's some kind of fashion accessory. The advice from The Personality Blog is, "Don’t hold your drink in front of your chest. In fact, don’t hold anything in front of your heart as it will make you seem guarded and distant. Lower it and hold it beside your leg instead."

Labels:

 Was that interesting or helpful? Consider subscribing:  by reader  or   by Email

posted by Pete Johnson @ 11:35 PM   1 comments

1 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger Moises Lopez said...

Great post very interesting. This is a topic I've been studying and it can really absorb you. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

   Subscribe to comments in a reader

   Subscribe to comments by Email

<< Home

Technology Blogs - Blog Top Sites